Position needed: Volunteer perform a program of marking and tracking pangolins after releasing
Place of work: Save Vietnam’s Wildlife Center (SVW) – Cuc Phuong National Park
Line management responsibilities: None
Introduction of Save Vietnam’s Wildlife:
Save Vietnam’s Wildlife is a national Non-Profit organisation in Vietnam that was established in 2014.
Mission:Save Vietnam’s Wildlife works tostop the extinction and champion the recovery of threatened species in Vietnam.
- Delivering effective education programs to empower people to take informed action.
- Working with Government to effect positive, long-lasting change for wildlife.
- Rescuing, rehabilitating, and releasing confiscated threatened wildlife in support of wild populations, as well as demonstrating and promoting good animal welfare.
- Increasing understanding of conservation requirements of threatened wildlife through rigorous scientific research.
- Ensuring the wildlife habitats is fully protected and local communities are engaged to protect wildlife.
Working time: Permanent position.
Expected starting date: 3/2020
Salary: To be paid the food and accommodation costs
Duration: 3 to 6 months, ability to renew (at least 2 months)
Introduction to program of marking and tracking pangolins after releasing:
Goal: To assess the status of pangolins in Pu Mat and the impacts of SVW’s interventions.
Objective: To develop a marking method to distinguish between released pangolins and Pu Mat’s native population based on camera-trap records.
– Mark as many rescued pangolins as possible using a variety of marking methods, record the length of time that the mark persists for.
– Photograph and document all marking methods
– Use camera-traps in semi-wild area and enclosures to test whether marks are visible and at what distances.
Overal Responsibilities and Roles:
- Design, implement and manage test data for markers.
- Regularly monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of methods through camera trap analysis
- Support writing reports
- Opportunity to participate in and assist in marking and tracking pangolin after release using camera trap.
- Come and support the conservation of one of Vietnam’s most important
wildlife species: Owston’s Civet.
- Supported accommodation and meals in Cuc Phuong NP
- Visa support for foreigners
Essential qualifications and skills:
- Prioritize candidates with experience in implementing projects on species conservation, camera trapping and scientific research.
- Education regarding the conservation/ecology/biology/natural resource management
- Excellent communication skills
- Proactive attitude to work and communication
Candidates please send your application including Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter in an email with title “Tình nguyện viên dài hạn thực hiện chương trình thử nghiệm đánh dấu và theo dõi tê tê sau tái thả ” to address: firstname.lastname@example.org 17:00 of 25th Februaly 2020.
Organization will contact directly the choosen candiates directly after the selection.
Deadline: 25 Februaly 2020
Phone number for contact: 02293 848 053